The mPlane industrial workshop took place on April 22nd in conjuction with TMA 2015, the 7th International Workshop on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis.
Overall there were 30 attendees:
~40% from mPlane [POLITO, NEC, TID, TI, ALBLF, FASTEWB, FUB]
~40% from the industry
~20% from academia
Scope of the Workshop
The ubiquity of Internet access, and the wide variety of Internet-enabled devices and applications, have made the Internet a principal pillar of the Information Society. Hoever, its distributed nature leads to operational brittleness and difficulty in identifying and tracking the root causes of performance and availability issues.
This workshop, with invited speakers among industrial partners, brought together practical use cases relevant to operators and providers and discuss topics about proactive and reactive troubleshooting for network communications at a scale. Particular attention was dedicated to discussing the definition of a measurement plane for the Internet from a regulator perspective, to shed light on the Internet quality and guarantee net neutrality.
- Maurizio Molina, CTO, Talaia Solutions: Maurizio brings Technical and Architectural experience in IP networks, having covered both research, design and operational roles in Networking. He has participated to the standardisation process in IETF, ITU-T and 3GPP, and has a specific experience in bringing to the market innovative network monitoring solutions.Maurizio will share with us his views about the challenges that are facing the industry in the areas of network monitoring and measurements. A key note title and more details will follow up soon.
- Julio César Arpirez, Co-founder and CTO at Zhilabs, will talk about "Automatic Root Cause Analysis in Convergent networks"
- 8:30am Registration and coffee
- 9:00am Overview of the mPlane project
- Introduction - M. Mellia, Project Coordinator
- Use-case presentation - M. Mellia, Project Coordinator
- 10:00am Keynote by J. Cesa, CTO of Zhilabs
- "Automatic Root Cause Analysis in Convergent networks"
- 11:00am Break
- 11:30am Keynote by M. Molina, CTO of Talaia Solutions
- "Cooperative inter-operator traffic measurement frameworks: technical challenges and barriers for industrial adoption"
- 12:30pm Lunch (joint with PhD school)
- 1:30pm mPlane Architecture - B. Trammell, WP1 Leader
- 2:00pm mPlane Live demo - F. Invernizzi, WP5 Leader
- 2:30pm Discussion Panel
- Challenges in network measurements and monitoring: an mPlane (and not only) perspective
- 3:30pm Break
- 4:00pm Showroom session
- Overview of solutions from companies in the network measurements and monitoring fields
- 4:45pm Poster session
- mPlane use cases explained
- 5:30pm Wrap-up and final remarks
- 7:30pm Social event